ANST - Baldar Blunts

Lee Cavett catsden at texas.net
Fri Dec 5 13:33:44 PST 1997

Stonewall Van Wie III wrote:

> This may be an urban myth (SCA style), but I have been advised on multiple
> occaisions (including by a marshall) that in order to engage in heavy combat
> archery that one had to have a standard authorization.  This (I was told)
> required proficiency with some form of rattan weapon, usually sword and board,
> in addition to knowledge of the rules.

Ah. Then the answer lies in interpretation. Another response on this thread
indicated that specifics of authorization were "between you and the marshal".
While not strictly true, this is a fairly good summation. Most heavy marshals
authorize after a training period (length varies) by giving a simple oral exam
about the rules of the lists and conventions of combat, followed by a
fight/sparring match with someone who (usually) was not involved in the training
and is skilled enough to put a new fighter through his/her paces without risk of
major injury. Again, styles vary, but I have been through this, and seen it done
many times, and have never heard anyone say you _must_ carry a shield. Any common
weapons form should be sufficient - the initial authorization is mostly to prove
that you know how to throw a blow, take a blow, and not lose your head when
someone swings a stick at you - and how to respond to marshals. Ansteorra is a
"sword and board" kingdom - we are well-known for our one-on-one combat. But no
one will _force_ you to carry a shield.Willem

> ----
> Stonewall Van Wie III

Donal O Dochartaigh