ANST - RE: ANTS - A Snow Diary... (fwd) (PG-13)

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue Dec 23 00:59:59 PST 1997

On 20 Dec 97 at 23:37, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> Not so weird.  Hoof coverings of fabric, leather and rope have been
> used for various purposes, including traction on difficult surfaces.
>  I don't think they did hobnail horseshoes, but it wouldn't surprise
> me if someone had tried it.

grew up around horses (30+ head) in north tejas ... we kept some
"traction boots" in the tack room for the animals.  made it safer
heavily on the racing animals that my da favored as a sideline to
the working animals he was breeding.

as for "hobnailed horseshoes" ... one of my smithing catalogs has a
selection of cleated and spiked (some removable) shoes for winter
use.

'wolf