ANST - A&S "skill ranks"...

RW. Reid carcassonnais at geocities.com
Tue Dec 30 19:50:35 PST 1997

>Lord Mykaru Kurodachi said

>> We NEED craftspeople. Without them we would still be wearing carpet
armour and Freon tanks. Why are they undervalued and unrecognized?

I understand that this happens because I understand that it was held against
me when I was being considered.  I could say that it seems that your two
posts are at odds, but I think I understand your position.  There is a good
reason for the position on merchants (good, but probably not adequate), and
it has to do with something you mentioned in your first post.  Love of the
craft.  Those who work only for the love of their craft, have trouble
accepting that someone who sells what they make, who takes orders and makes
exactly what the customer wants, who seems to have "sold out" can actually
have a love of the craft equal to their own.

As a merchant I was constantly frustrated because I never had enough time to
work on what I wanted to do, I always had to finish an order, and all
because I felt this strange need to eat, and have a roof over my head.

We do need merchants and craftsman, I just wish that every craftsman would
still work from period models, especially in the armor arena, and that we
would see the death of the spundome and SCA specific helms.  But that tirade
could go on for a while, so I will stop.

Craftsman who work in period style, and who show the love of their craft
should be recognized, and often are, they just have to work a little harder.
I understood that, and accepted it.  I saw it as a challenge.  In general,
our present system works.

Conor
lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo