cloven fruit

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Feb 5 18:24:04 PST 1997

Greetings unto Mari,

Ok, I can see your point. But I'm going to s-t-r-e-t-c-h my original
comment a little and say presenting someone with a soggy tomato of
cloves does not meet my original "properly presented" requirement.

If presented with such a repulsive fruit, I would hope that I would
at least consider the spirit in which it was given. If it was given
in a gentle way, I always have the option of extending my hand for
the kiss or telling the individual that I wasn't playing. In the
latter case, I then have the option of making the repulsive fruit
quietly disappear. If you heave the fruit away, you may be preceived
as making a very public statement rejecting the individual as well
as the fruit or game.

In the case of the fruit being presented in a letcherous way, these
concerns become less and less important.

Stefan