feast comments

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Feb 12 09:45:10 PST 1997

Caladin (the Known World's Greatest Fan of "cheese-goo") declared:

the onion soup....

well, it was just not what i was anticipating... either something more like
french onion, (beef broth???) or less sherry more of some other stock, and
use the sweet north carolina onions you can eat like an apple... maybe
sautee the onions i butter first to brin out the sweet???
this also was not an effective meduim for cheeze goo.
It was everything it was advertsed, soup and oniony, but sounded better than
it was, especialy compared to cheeze goo.

Unfortunately, it is my understanding that sweet onions are a very recent
hybrid. Thus not in period at all. It is my feeling that the sweet onions
would have a definite effect upon the taste of the dish that would detract
from the idea of a medieval dish.

I found the onion soup when eaten with the sodden bread that had been
soaking in it to be excellant. But the soup by itself tasted somewhat
bitter(?) with too much alcohol taste. Two others next to me didn't eat
more than a little because of this.

Please don't mis-construe this critisim. This was one of the best feasts
I've had in years and certainly one of the most authentic.

I do have comments pro and con about several of the other dishes, and will
send them to you (Clarissa) by email.

Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
markh at risc.sps.mot.com