If there was no S.C.A.

Casey Weed nextristan at n-link.com
Fri Feb 28 05:53:42 PST 1997

Dieterich Hier,

        Just an addendum to what has already been said about what our
members would do if the S.C.A. dissappeared tommorrow...
        I think many of you are under the impression that the S.C.A. is the
only medievally oriented history group out there or that the others are
somehow 'inferior'.  Although it is true that the fantasy groups by far
outnumber them, there are a healthy number of clubs that somewhat parallel
ours.  These include the Order of Saynte George, the Live Steel Society,
Legio IX, and a number of organizations that specialize in later period
research.  Outside the role-playing end of the spectrum but just as
fascinating are groups such as the Richard III Society that are dedicated
more towards research.
        Not to bash our club, mind you, but ALL of the organizations above
have much higher standards concerning historical accuracy and some of them
are actually credited with significant advancements in our knowledge of
history.  The idea of research through 'living-history' is neither new nor
exclusive and it's an area we seem to be lacking in.  But I digress...
        The three things I most love about our club are: learning about man
after Rome and before the gun reigns supreme on the field, playing the part
of someone in history, as well as the martial experience of fighing by our
rules.  Their Excellencies Galen and Bors have already touched on the
fighting- any dojo can help you fill that gap, complete with a code of
honor, a rank structure, and sense of 'fair play'.  The other two elements
can be supported in any of the groups I mention above.  Other outlets that I
have noticed are common attractors to scadians are the theatre (to satisfy
the love of roleplaying), role playing games (they dont appeal to *me* but
some find that they give an adequate outlet), pursuit of degrees in related
areas (I know an armorer who has a PHD in Metallurgy), and avid
participation in the world of art (Dieterich tips his hat to Mistress
Aquillane).
        I guess my point is this: if the S.C.A. dissappeared tommorrow, I
know I have PLENTY of outlets for all the aspects of it that I enjoy.  The
idea that "the S.C.A. could be 'taken away'" is absolutely ludicrous to me-
how do you 'take away' someones interests?  If, after the S.C.A. somehow
dissolved, you lost interest in history, athletics, art, role-playing,
sewing, etc. I say that you were never really in it in the first place and
lose nothing.
        As a parting shot, I'd like to make a challenge...
        I would like to hear/read as many of you as possible, in your own
words, define the S.C.A. as it should be found in an encyclopedia.
        I would also like to hear/read your 'mission statement' for the
S.C.A.. In other words, in one sentence describe our goal.

                Giving you yet another headache,

                        Dieterich Kempernich von Eltz