Putting foot in mouth

Todd W. Marsh tmarsh at Sierrasys.com
Fri Feb 28 17:00:31 PST 1997

Baron Bors wrote:
>  For many people in the
>SCA within this Kingdom, the SCA is not  an  "Educational Recreation Group",
>it is a way of life.    <snip>
>  After devoting almost 2 years to get our Barony started and 2.5
>years as Baron and (pardon my phrasology Galen) " chasing" the belt for 10
>years, I realized that the SCA had so ingrained itself into my psychic that I
>almost had no where else to go, if the SCA suddenly ceased to exist.

The variety of the SCA is both a blessing and a curse.  You can't do
everything. (I know because I've tried!) Going to guild meetings and
practices keeps you from having time to develop your arts.  Working to
improve your local group takes time away from your fighting.  Spending
every free moment with your SCA friends means you soon don't have any
non-SCA friends.

Fortunately, it's all educational.  Unfortunately, we don't aways learn
what we wanted to.  If I take an office, I have less time to study my
persona's culture, but I learn about group dynamics and managing by
influence.  I'd like to teach more, too, but other comittments keep
getting in the way.

How do you set priorities and keep everything in balance?  I don't know.

Llywelyn, Lord Elfsea