Electronic publications...

Lenny Zimmermann zarlor at acm.org
Fri Jan 17 10:17:55 PST 1997

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997 11:49:24 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

>  Under Kingdom of Ansteorra Electronic Publications section, it states:
>
>    An electronic publication, for the purposes of this handbook, is
>    defined as any publication that is distributed or display by
>    electronic means which holds itself out to be a publication of the
>    Society or its branches.

How is "publication" defined? I do not think that a mailing list or
newsgroup could be considered a publication, as there is no moderating
authority to compile the missives on these lists into a single,
comprehensive, booklet/page/"official" listing of authoritative
information. I don't see open lists as capable of being defined as a
publication, but that would depend on how that definition is worded.

> It includes web pages, ftp archives and
>    other electronically stored and displayed information provided
>    through electronic means (computer bulletin boards, the Internet,
>    CompuServe, America Online or similar service) which are sponsored
>    or authorized by a Society branch.

Again you mention correctly that here a Society Branch is not
sponsoring or authorizing, officially, these mailing lists. (Unless
you have written approval from some official SCA source.) So this
would also preclude these lists and groups from consideration under
those provision.

Of course that is just my interpretation of the wording you posted and
I am by no means a professional interpreter of "legal" documents. So
YMMV. Hope it helps, though!

Honos Servio,
Leonardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)