Electronic publications...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Jan 17 11:45:37 PST 1997

Excerpts from the Ansteorra list:
> >    An electronic publication, for the purposes of this handbook, is
> >    defined as any publication that is distributed or display by
> >    electronic means which holds itself out to be a publication of the
> >    Society or its branches.
> How is "publication" defined?

Vaguely on this issue, IMO.

  Publications that fall under the authority of the Chronicler's office
  include, but are not limited to, newsletters, fliers, event handouts,
  event announcments and any other publication that is produced which
  holds itself out to be a publication of the Society or its branches.

With the mailing list being named Ansteorra, SCA-Chroniclers, SCA-Rapier,
etc, aren't they already "holds itself out to be a publication of the
Society or its branches" even if a group is not officially sponsoring
it? The not limited to is a catch all. This is especially the case since
the wording under electronic publications indicates that it's "any
publication that is distributed or displayed by electronic means."

> I do not think that a mailing list or
> newsgroup could be considered a publication, as there is no moderating
> authority to compile the missives on these lists into a single,
> comprehensive, booklet/page/"official" listing of authoritative
> information.

But the ability is there. Since the ability is there, does that mean it
is but chosen not to oversee and control until after the fact?

Thanks for your insight.

Btw, I probably am being anal about this. Unfortunately we are in the
middle of a new era, as well as area, here.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something