Electronic publications...

Stephen Pursley herron at oklahoma.net
Fri Jan 17 13:55:47 PST 1997

> Good Morning,
>
>   I recently recieved my new Kingdom of Ansteorra Chronicler's Handbook
>   and am quite concerned about one thing in it. I'm wondering if this is
>   standard in the other Kingdoms, and if someone has taken into account
>   mailing lists and newsgroups for "Electronic Publications." Or if my
>   concerns are totally misplaced. (I know that if I didn't bring it up,
>   it probably would have never been an issue at all.)
>
>   Under Kingdom of Ansteorra Electronic Publications section, it states:
>
>     An electronic publication, for the purposes of this handbook, is
>     defined as any publication that is distributed or display by
>     electronic means which holds itself out to be a publication of the
>     Society or its branches. It includes web pages, ftp archives and
>     other electronically stored and displayed information provided
>     through electronic means (computer bulletin boards, the Internet,
>     CompuServe, America Online or similar service) which are sponsored
>     or authorized by a Society branch.
>
>   Now, aren't SCA mailing lists, not to mention rec.org.sca, just that?

Nope.  Never seen a mailing list that said it belonged to a specific SCA
group.  Being of interest  to SCA members, even if SCA members are the
only people involved does not make a mailing  list or newsgroup
something that "holds itself out to be a publication of the Society or
its branches."  A Baronial web page, yes.  Mailing list, no.

>   If not, why not? (I found the definition of publication to not erase
>   my concerns, since it confused me even more as well as being a bit
>   cyclical.) The key may be simply if one "holds itself out to be a
>   publication of the Society or its branches" or down to the issue of
>   them being "sponsored or authorized by a Socity branch."

That's right.

>   Now the part that worries me personally:
>
>     Oversite, control and responsibility of such electronic publications
>     falls under the authority of the Chronicler's office. Local Branch
>     Chroniclers are responsible for electronic publications produced by
>     their branch. The Kingdom Chronciler has oversight over Kingdom
>     level electronic publication and all other electroci publications
>     below the Kingdom level.
>
>   SNIP
>
>   As the Deputy Kingdom Chronciler for Electronic Publications (Virtual
>   Scribe), I do oversee and control a ftp and web site for the Kingdom
>   of Ansteorra. These are very controlable medias. However I don't see
>   mailing lists and newsgroups as being part of these duties at this
>   time, nor do I think they should be nor are they controllable.

Agreed.

>   Something I am less concerned about, but is still an issue, is the
>   statement that the Local Branch Chroniclers be responsible for group
>   web pages. Is that more of a case that the person doing it should
>   be a deputy and know their responsibility or that the Chronicler
>   should be directly responsible for maintaining it? I feel fairly
>   certain that most group web pages are not being maintained by their
>   Chronicler nor a deputy.

Local branch Chroniclers are in charge of all publications their group
produces.  So states  Corporate, and I agree.  If they wish to have a
deputy handle the web page, that's up to the Chronicler.  Needless to
say, it's real hard to enforce this.  Impossible is more like it.  But
those are the rules.  If a person sets up a page, and their Chroniclers
is not involved, we can distance ourselves from the content of that page
(slander and copyright laws).  Some rules are set up to cover our butts,
not to reflect real life.

>   Please let me know what all of you think. This was sent to the SCA
>   Chroncilers list, the Ansteorra list, and the Kingdom of Ansteorra
>   Chronicler. Of course the Kingdom Chronicler has the final say in
>   this, but I would like to see what other people's thoughts are.

Love to get other peoples ideas.  Please post this reply to the same
lists for me.  I would do it, but I am trying to send out the Black Star
at the moment, while getting ready for Coronation.

>   Btw, sorry if this is a bit rambling and anal. That's the way I am
>   about issues like this.

Knowledge is Power.  And a 44 Mag. helps too.

     Barat