condoms

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Jul 19 17:16:25 PDT 1997

Aquilanne here (still whuppin-up on that none-too-healthy-by-now horse),

Isabel Soberbia writes:
>I'd like everyone to sit back and look at WHAT we are, what we do

First and foremost, WHAT we are is human beings, ergo--along with the
club-subject-related stuff that we do, we do what human beings do.

>Yet  I digress...Sex is a side thing that happens, just like going to
>the bathroom or smoking...it's not the reason we are there but rather an
>occurance that takes place at said events.

A-and, we make sure there are restroom facilities and enough toilet paper;
and at some sites I've seen groups provide "butt-cans" so folk don't throw
their smoking refuse on the ground.

>Does it really sound
>prioritized to provide condoms in first aid kits originally designed for
>our fighters which others use when in need?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "prioritized" here, but the first aid
kits, while probably used more by fighters than other folk, have always been
there for everyone.

>DO NOT get me wrong I AM ALL FOR SAFE SEX, and what you do with whom is
>your own business and doesn't concern me unless it does, if you catch my
>drift.

While who is "doing" whom where and how is no one's business but that of the
consenting adults, community concern for the health of community members is
everyone's business; everyone who cares, anyway.

>And  I love the following idea to pieces!
>> and as practice usually donate to
>>the "condom jar" when i pass it by (take one when you need one, put
>>one back when you have one ...).
>>
>>a public donation system (the jar approach) seems to work a lot
>>better about keeping such matters visible and in mind ... which in
>>my experience serves to encourage people to take responsibility for
>>their own actions.

These are fine ideas (just curious, though, who would be responsible for
putting the jar out and making the service known; would we appoint a
condom-o-crat? ;->), though it just seems easier, more expedient, and,
frankly, just more logical having a few in the chirurgeon's kit, whether the
recipient is expected to donate a buck or whatever. The important thing is
that if we're going to make health-related supplies available, that we not
discriminate against making *specific* supplies such as condoms available
just because of various groups' variable levels of morality concerns. Health
is health and caring is caring. Period. If you expect and desire responsible
behaviour from others, then you want to make that behaviour as accesible as
possible.

Prevention? Cure? Prevention? Cure? Which is preferable?

Aquilanne