ANST - Music in Courts-

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jul 31 13:50:26 PDT 1997

Stefan li Rous
wrote:
> the individual oath is more period,

Let me expand on something I thought of last night.  Swearing one-on-one
is period, but the oath was (as I understand it, for the most part)
fixed by custom.  Now, person X may not swear the same oath as person
Y, even if they were both of the same rank.  The marcher Earl of
Chester had a lot more privileges than the Earl of Lincoln, say.
Also, things might change over time.  Lord Foo might win or lose
the rebellion, and gain or lose privileges.

My point is that a common mode, as I understand it, is that
- peers decide on their own what to swear
- peers change their oaths from reign to reign
are not period concepts.

Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com
tmcd at austin.tx.us is not a valid address.