Belt & Chain - Actual Lyrics

Will Ritchie ritchie at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Mon Jun 2 17:16:28 PDT 1997

> From: kal35810 at jetson.uh.edu (Kathy Lee)
>
> Well, I guess we all know how often I check my e-mail now ... the first song
> I sang at Alisha's ceremony at Steppes >snip< is "Belt and Chain".
>snip<  I don't
> have the author with me, but I will post it this evening if someone else
> hasn't beaten me to it.

The song _Belt and Chain_ was written by Master Morric of Trimaris, which
is to say - me.  If you'd like to hear the original version (and I hope
this is what will be taught), it can be found on _Vivat_Trimaris_, an
album of original pieces by performers in Trimaris.  (While both melodies
are a bit sonorous, a lot of people in Trimaris refer to the Atlantian
approximation as the "Dirge Version")

It, along with _Vivat II - Sing the Moon Down_ and its attendant songbook,
can be ordered from Guillame Dammartin/Stan Lyzak at: thorgeir at gdi.net
Snail mail is 11933 Pasteur Dr., Orlando, FL 32826;  phone is
(407)330-1857.  (I believe arrangements exist for internet purchase by
credit card.)  These are professionally recorded and mixed tapes (II more
so than I); all profits go to the Trimarian Land Fund.

I can't begin to describe how gratifying it's been to see the spread of
this piece.  I've always felt that the Society's quest for honor, truth,
fellowship, and nobility were far more important than mere historical
reenactment and authenticity.  Furthermore, and despite the stereotypical
stick-jock knight we all know so well, I've always thought that the
Society's _ideal_ of the knight is one of our most powerful icons in this
dream we try to build.  I'm particularly happy to see its acceptance by
our kinsmen in Ansteorra; there is a special bond between our two
kingdoms, and the thriving nature of Gulf War bears witness to this.  For
those who are interested, the actual lyrics are below.

Morric

		_Belt and Chain_

The days are too fast, and the legends long past;
Yet some would dream of a place -
A place of goodwill, where beauty lies still
A bastion of honor and grace;
A bastion of honor and grace -

REFRAIN

	Will you wear the Belt and Chain -
	That this dream may yet live again
	Swear your heart to Chivalry's art
	Swear your sword to our gain?

Take the young lad and make him page
Teach the boy to come of age;
Teach him fealty, service and truth
Give him these gifts in his youth;
Give him these gifts in full sooth.

REFRAIN

Take the young man and make him squire;
Teach him arms to best his sire;
Teach him chivalry, strength without stain;
For one day he'll take belt and chain;
For one day he too will be chained.

REFRAIN

Wear the belt as a badge of your word,
Bear well the chain, for your oath is interred;
Hold fast to honor, as hard as it seems;
For you guard the halls of our dream;
For you guard the halls of this dream.

REFRAIN

					<copyright - Wm. Ritchie>