Galen answers the posts about Reality (l

Talen von Marienburg talen at microtutors.com
Tue Jun 10 11:18:25 PDT 1997

(Galen's post snipped - but well worth reading)

I feel Viscount Galen has done a fine job elucidating his views on
reality.  For most of us, there is no difference between normal life
and our hobbies.  We are the same people in each group.  Whether I am
attending a breakfast for the Chamber of Commerce, a luncheon for the
Payne County Republicans, a dinner with the Knights of Columbus, or a
Gunch and Munch for the Society for Creative Anachronism, I am still
the same person.  It's true that I dress differently for each of these
organizations, and for some activities I use a different name -
Richard, Rick or Talen.  My expectations from each group are different,
and I may have surface actions that are different for each group (I
don't talk about "killing" my competitors at Chamber meetings, but I do
so at Fighter Practices), but the same philosophical and morale fiber
carries me throughout all my activities.  Whether it's church, family,
business, or hobby, I try to remain honorable and true to my word.

The SCA is unusual but not unique in the fact that we have our
"personas", complete with different names and "histories". Some even
manage to define their "personas" in the SCA as radically different
than how they would act outside the Society.  In the end, however,
their real personality comes through both.  If they're a back stabbing
piece of sh-- in real life, they will be the same in the Society,
albeit with perhaps a more civilized veneer on their persona.  Or they
may be "civilized" in the normal world but a "Tuchuk" at Pennsic (no
offense, just generalizing).  Perhaps the veneer is on the normal
person, not the SCA persona?  Given time, the reality surfaces and the
"real" person emerges.  Good or bad.

What the Society does do for those of us in the modern world is teach
that you should not "judge" people by how they look, but by how they
act.  You should be polite whenever possible, serve others, value
friendships, and keep your word.  You should treat others as you would
wish to be treated, and assume they are honorable until proven
otherwise.  Gentlemen, you should honor all ladies.  Ladies, you should
remain worthy of all honor.  Touch not another mans goods unasked.
 These are all mores of our Society, and they should be mores of modern
society as well.

These are real.  Intangible, but real nonetheless.

Talen
-------
Centurion Talen Gustaf von Marienburg
Kriegsherr von Nordsteorra
Knight Marshal of the Shire of Mooneschadowe
talen at microtutors.com