Galen answers the posts about Reality (l

dentim at mail.myriad.net dentim at mail.myriad.net
Tue Jun 10 12:28:40 PDT 1997

Greetings!

>More from Galen of Bristol -- you've been warned.
Ahh! duck and cover! :)

(stuff on fealty snipped)

The subjects we have talked about lately (fealty, peers, Msca's,
squire-students, reality) have been on my mind quite a lot.

Sorry if this is all scattershot, I'm not too good of a writer.

When I squired, I made an oath (off the top of my head) to my knight,
promising to do all within my power to bring honor to him, his lady, and his
house. I guess it wasnt an oath of fealty ,exactly, but it stated the things
that were important to me. My knight said he would help train, educate, and
garb me.
So we have an "agreement". Heck, I probably got the better end of the deal.
:) There are things that are left unsaid in this agreement. My knight would
not ask me to steal food for him, I would refuse anyway. When he tells me to
"do well" on the field, he does not expect me to cheat. et al. When he goes
to swear fealty to HRM's, I will be in fealty to them as well. This I do not
mind at all. I am to support my knight, he is to support the Crown, if he is
unable (ie: not there), I am to help the Crown in his stead.

Peers are equal according to Corpora. Are some "more equal"? Are some just
sh_ts? Sure, people are people. I try to show respect to all people equally,
but I'm sure I'm guilty of showing peers a tad more deference. I was raised
to "show respect for your elders/superiors" and it carries over. I treat a
person the way I want to be treated, and show them respect until they prove
themselves not worthy of it. Even at that, I will treat their
office/rank/hat with the respect it deserves, even if the person bearing it
does not.

What is reality? My wife and kids, my job, my hobbies, my dreams, are all
real to me. This is the home I go to every night. This is the job I go to
every day. This is the game I play (almost) every weekend. Where does the
SCA and reality part? For me it does'nt. They are integral parts of each
other. I joined the society to learn honor and chivalry. A part of me that
was missing. Belive me, I've done some things that I'm not proud of in the
past. When I started to see the things that were expected of me in the
society; keep your word, serve others, honor your lady, be loyal to your
king, I found I liked what I saw myself doing at events, and I tried to
carry over these ideals to "reality". I asked my wife once, "who do you like
better, Tim or Timo?", and she flat out said Timo. This is what I want to
become *all* the time. Not "timo-littlescumsuckingmutantlefty" but the
person underneath, who cares and loves and can be counted on.

timo
justplaintimo
Tim Lozos
former sh_t who's working on it