SCA's NEXT GENERATION

Angela M Viator av4 at evansville.edu
Thu Jun 12 13:16:22 PDT 1997

> >Gentlemen, you should honor all ladies.  Ladies, you should
> >remain worthy of all honor.
>
> So, how about saying "Ladies, you should honor all gentlemen.
> Gentlemen, you
> should remain worthy of all honor."  Hmmmmmm?
>
> Aquilanne
> _____________________________
>
> I think it works well both ways.  I was merely restating the "rules" I
> learned when I first joined the SCA.  "Rules" we as a Society have in
> general failed to pass on to the next generation of our populace.  BTW,
> these and other social mores are also in the Knowne World Handboke.
>
> Talen
> -------
> Centurion Talen Gustaf von Marienburg
> Kriegsherr von Nordsteorra
> Knight Marshal for the Shire of Mooneschadowe

Salutations, you may never have seen me on the list before, but that is
because I am new to it...thus my topic.
I grew up in SW Houston (Stargate, Ansteorra) but did not get involved
with the SCA untill I went to college in Riviere Constielle, Midrealm (MKA
Evansville, IN). I was not extremely involved, but enough to pick up on
the gist of things and to learn that I enjoy it. What I have learned about
proper behaiour and courtesy -titles and the like, I'd like to think I
already knew common courtesy :) - has come from mostly reading webpages (I
had a lot of free time at the begining of the summer). now that you know
some history, on to my topic - the NEXT generation. I have always heard
allusions to the good people of the SCA taking newcomers under their wings
and showing them the way. I have not seen that except for with my two good
friends in the Midrealm. But they are in the Midrealm and I am home for
the summer. Upon returning to Stargate and my beloved kingdom I had high
hopes of returning to my adopted "home" with a better understanding of my
kingdom and the SCA in general. But how is that to happen when the only
times I even see  other Scadians is at baronial populace meetings? I have
tried, I have made the effort to reach out, I have driven far and wide to
meet and get to know the people in my fair barony. In seeking to become a
combat archer I spoke with a person about obtaining authorization in heavy
combat, when I called their house their spouse at first assumed I was a
secret girlfriend or something to that effect.
	I am not basing my opinions on Ansteorra on the few people I have
met down here. I am not trying to complain (misunderstandings happen and
people are busy). What I am doing ("newbie" that I am) is challenging each
and everyone of you who reads this to make an extra effort to befriend a
newcomer. Survival of the SCA depends on more people continously joining,
the best way to get people to join is by word of mouth advertising. When I
heard how much fun my two Midrealm friends had at events and saw how
positively the SCA affected them, I was eager to join in their merriment.
On the other hand what of the person who sees yet another large group of
people with tightknit clicks who aren't interested in what they may have
to offer?

	If I am out of line, I apologize. If thine ears I have offended, I
beg thy forgiveness.

sincerely,
I.Soberbia