SCA's NEXT GENERATION

Lenny Zimmermann zarlor at acm.org
Thu Jun 12 15:45:57 PDT 1997

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:16:22 -0500 (CDT), I.Soberbia wrote:
[snipped description of lack of effort to welcome newcomers and assist
them in her area]

I certainly have to agree with this good gentle that new members are
what will keep the SCA alive and fresh. I have seen new folks revive
an otherwise stagnant and bored group of "old-timers". I have seen new
folks carry the weight of responsibility for ensuring their own fun
and that of everyone else, forging the SCA forward like those before
them must have done. I have seen them work long and hard providing
strength of arm and creativity of mind where others before them have
begun to falter. Indeed, from my experience newcomers are the fresh
blood that keeps us alive and vibrant and, some would say
unfortunately, forever changing.

I have also heard established members of the SCA say that newcomers
should be kept at a distance until they prove they are willing to
stick it out. They say they have been burned by those they have given
a great deal of time and effort for, only to have these people never
return. I can see where that might hurt some, as I have experienced it
a little myself. I have seen these older members cling heavily to "the
good ole days", snidely looking down on the efforts of those who
haven't "earned their wings" yet, as though such efforts could never
match the efforts these old-timers used to put forth in their younger
years. (Yeah, right. I've SEEN what some of these new folks are
capable of. Trust me, you may have a dynamo on your hands in that
newcomer and not even know it, yet!)

I can only say that I, most thankfully, live in a Barony where our
long-time members have taken the newest of folks under their wing.
Gladly providing effort and time knowing that there may be those who
will leave or abuse them for this, but also knowing the vast majority
have grown to love them all the more dearly for their efforts. And
they also get to see how those they have helped begin to shine in
their own right and how they, in turn, help others. All in an attempt
to pass on the special kinship of the SCA.

Perhaps it is just my own Barony, but I know that we have members even
here who are resistant to new blood. But no matter where you are there
are people who will help those who are new. It may take a bit more
searching to find them in some places, and that is sad. For it takes
almost no time and little effort to try and send someone to those who
could help them. It takes only a little more time and effort to invite
that new person to join you and your SCA buddies for dinner after
fighter practice. And yes, there are those new folks who could use
some help in social graces. Of course if you are not willing to make
the effort, do you think anyone else is? And trust me on this one, if
you do, you may just help to make a Peer out of someone by helping
them to get on the right path. Is it really so much to ask?

Besides, if you need an ulterior motive, do you really want to steward
that event you have coming up...again? Did you really want to stay
Rapier Marshal, or Reeve, or Seneschal for ANOTHER term because nobody
else will do it? Well, here's your chance to get somebody else to do
the things you've been trying to get out of! ;-) And they'll probably
thank you for it.

Madonna I.Soberbia, I wish you the best of luck. If you are ever at an
event out this way, please don't hesitate to stop and talk to the guy
with that stupid Italian accent. I guarantee I won't bite and I know
I'll be more than happy to talk about the SCA and maybe some of the
people who can help you along the way. (The same goes for anyone else
out there.) I know that if I don't know who you should see (as is
quite likely as I am still somewhat new myself) I'll certainly find
someone who can help you.

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)