Reality

Stephen Pursley herron at oklahoma.net
Sun Jun 15 10:45:30 PDT 1997

> VIVAT!
>
> Laird Angus mac Taggart
> Twilight Herald [Southern Regional Herald Ansteorra]
> Virtual Scribe Bryn Gwlad
> Deputy to the Chronicler Bryn Gwlad
> Virtual Scribe Crossroads to the S.C.A.
>
> P.S. Am I becoming to serious? ;-P

No.

I play had in the Society, and I work hard in my mundane life (graphic
artist/desk-top-publisher for ClimateMaster, new job BTW).

As for the Society just being a game.  No, it’s not.  Perhaps for some
it is, not for me.  I handle $1,200.00 - $1,300.00 worth of Corporate
Society funds a month (for which I am personally liable).  If I miss the
mailing deadline for the Black Star (the 20th of the month) more than a
few times, they take my warrant away (BTW: I have a personal mailing
deadline of the 17-18 of the month and have never missed the 20th.  So
if your BS has been late, it’s not me, it’s the Post Office).  I can be
sued if I print something without permission which is copywritten (make
sure to include your release for publication with your event
announcements).

Now, when I’m not a officer, the SCA is a game which I enjoy very much
and try not to take overly seriously.  Most regrettably, I have been an
office of one type or another (and on several occasions two) without
break for the past 9 years (you know, this is starting to sound rather
pathetic).  Someone must do the work so the rest of us can play.  To
that end I would like to thank the other Great Officers and most of the
Regional Officers for the work they do to make this game happen (not a
blatant political plug no matter what it sounds like).  Some of us have
to do the work so the rest can play, so please don’t tell the officer
who’s turn it is in the barrel that it’s just a game.

All right, a plan of action.  When I am finished with the Black Star, I
will sit at the back of the hall, drink mead (the Purple Stuff, yum) and
take the SCA not at all seriously (then I apply for editor of TI!).
Until then the SCA is not a game TO ME, it’s a job.  A job that I enjoy
very much, but still a job.

      Sincerely yours,

      Lord Barat FitzWalter Reynolds
      Kingdom Chronicler, Ansteorra
      Editor of the Black Star
      Deputy Kingdom Chronicler for Beer and Pretzels (I have a signed
warrant!)
      Deputy Chronicler, Barony of Namron
      Guild Master, The Honorable Brotherhood of Brewers and Vintners