SCA's NEXT GENERATION

Scott White swhite at cimedia.com
Sun Jun 15 16:48:55 PDT 1997

>While I absolutely agree that many SCA groups, including Bryn Gwlad, are
>not as welcoming to newcomers as they should be, I also think that the
>reality of the situation requires newcomers to take some responsibility for
>getting involved in the group.

     **** WHAT?!? ****

Oh, no no no no ...

I hail from a certain barony centered in a city of a half-million people
that includes a major university (I won't mention names, but the barony's
initals are Bryn Gwlad) that has attracted five -- count 'em, FIVE -- new
heavy fighters in the last two years.

FIVE. Now there's a number to be proud of in a city of a half-million.

I suppose this is all the fault of those non-aggressive new folks.

I suppose this has nothing to do with the fact that we do nothing to
publicize our existence; we hold our practice in a hidden park on a
weeknight; and we have almost no mechanisms in place to meet/greet new
people and get them started in their field of interest ...

>I moved to Bryn Gwlad from Stargate almost five years ago, and at my first
>fighter practice, no one came up to talk to me.

And that's shameful. Even more shameful that not much has changed.

>However, I asked around and
>found out the names of the local herald and scribe's guild mistress

That's all well and good, but how many non-SCA new folks would know to ask
for the local herald and scribe's guild mistress?

Can't tell you the number of times I've seen new people appear on the
sidelines at practice for a week or two, stand there by themselves, then
disappear. Finally I started talking to them myself, even before I felt
like I had been in this club long enough to serve as a representative.
Somebody had to do something.

For the last two weeks, Chuck (another two-year fighter) and I have spent
our weekends building armor for six new fighters. We worked side-by-side
with the new folks -- cut and riveted, talked and got to know each other,
even ate barbecue.

Know what? It was a BLAST. Each one of these new people will make a fine
addition to the society. I'm really ashamed when I think of how many good
people our barony missed out on because of our complacency in this department.

Know what else? It didn't take a huge amount of effort.

I challenge everyone out there to drop this horrible 'newbie's fault'
attitude; and figure out what YOU can do to make sure that new people no
longer spend hour after hour unwelcomed on our sidelines.

Gnith
<swhite at cimedia.com>