SCA's NEXT GENERATION

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Tue Jun 17 02:43:46 PDT 1997

Hi,

Wendy Erisman wrote:

> I would also be interested in hearing what other groups do to get newcomers
> involved. Do you have formal activities like classes, revels, or newcomers'
> households, or is it all done on an informal one-on-one basis?

I know I am new to Bryn Gwlad but, I can speak about what went on in
Stargate.

Every fall and winter, different members of the barony would host
newcomer households.  Since Houston is so large, several would be
scheduled.  The 'host' would arrange for different members of the group
to come talk about fighting, arts and sciences, the organization,
clothes, culture and history, etc.  After about 1-2 months a newcomers
revel was held---this gave everyone a taste of what an event is like.
This was done if no local event was already scheduled.  IF the group
already had an event on the calendar....the 'host' would take their new
comer's household as a group to the event.  This way, the newcomer had a
contact person, got introduced to other members of the barony and the
transition was less stressful.  It is much easier to go to an event when
you know a few people.

Now that I live here in Bryn Gwlad, I too would like to see a
'newcomer's household' or meetings set up to assist new people.  Also,
has anyone thought of getting involved with TRF again?  That is an
resource that hasn't been used much by this barony....just my opinion.

in service,
meadhbh