Dun B*

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Jun 20 08:02:21 PDT 1997

Alan wrote:
> Examples from Cornwall and Scotland do not bolster the idea that "dun" was
> also used in Old English.

Quite true ... but of the five names I gave, I listed languages /
locations for only two.  I think the other three were Old English,
tho I don't have the book to hand to check.  I distinctly remember
Johnson saying that "dun" was also Old English.  I presume it
was either borrowed or a survival from the last common ancestor
of the Celtic and Germanic languages.  (It's much like the
Sanskrit word for "brother" sounding rahter like "brother".)

> "Ruaidh", while a period spelling, also has a less-than-flattering modern
> meaning. The SCA Armorial spells the group's name two different ways in
> different places. The group therefore uses the spelling "Ruadh".

THe different spellings in the Armorial is an error.  I think it's
been corrected recently.

The spelling of the group's name has been discussed on either
the SCA Heralds' list or the S. Gabriel list recently.  I don't
recall the details.  However, from what I recall, that "i"
has to be in there to indicate the genitive case, and it's just
not correct without it.

Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com
tmcd at austin.tx.us is not a valid address.