Magic Moments

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 23 17:11:25 PDT 1997

Aquilanne here.

Sir Burke asked for magic moments. I started in the SCA in
Montana/Atenveldt, in the eternally-incipient shire of Braanshelm (Billings,
MT), way, way out in the SCA boonies. I had only been playing a few months
when a bunch of us carpooled to a fighter's college in Silver Keep
(Bozeman). Some knights and other charity-minded folk from the Barony of
Loch Salaan (Salt Lake City, Utah) had traveled up to teach and share. The
event was held in the upstairs area of a school gym--fighting, feast,
festivities and all. It was the first event I'd been to where there was
dancing. They got the dancers started with a simple pavan. I was standing to
the side, watching, when I was approached by a tall, stately gentleman
wearing a (gasp, nervous figit) coronet, the first I had ever seen. I bowed,
and moved to let him by, but, low and behold, he stopped, bowed back, took
my hand and asked oh-so-politely if I would honor him with a dance. I was
absolutely agog. The *Baron* asked *me,* a "nobody," to dance! We shared a
pavan, bowed to one another again; he conversed pleasantly with me for a
little while and went on. I still remember how absolutely charmed and
excited I was to be asked to dance by someone so important and so genteel.
Years later, Baron Sir Robert de Spencer still stands in my mind as a
paragon of nobility. In that shining moment, so young into the SCA
experience, I was no longer a "nobody;" I *was* a lady at court, fortunate
enough to have had the Baron's arm for a dance.

As proficient as I like to believe myself at communication, mere words can't
begin to do justice to the magic of that moment for me.
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin
English Department
Recovering Medievalist
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before.
                                                  --Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Don't Republicans say just the cutest things?)