Peers and students, my opinions..

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Fri Jun 6 15:12:22 PDT 1997

dennis grace 6/6/97 2:19 PM

>Ideally, category A does not compete, nor is compared to, category B.
>Ideally, an item from A would be judged on its own merit under criteria
>appropriate for that category, as would an item from B. If the item from A
>evinces a virtuosty earning a grade or score of 8 by its category standards,
>and the item from B evinces virtuosity earning a score of 9 by its category
>standards, it follows that the item from B would have simply displayed a
>higher level of virtuosity--without ever having been compared to the item
>from A.

This is ideally the best way to do things. However, the few Ansteorran
contests I have entered have been generic A&S and everything was judged
together. At least that is how it looked to me when there was one
'winner' even though there was garb, food, wine, beer, scrolls, books,
leatherwork, etc entered.  I don't even see how they manage to determine
the 'best' item among such diversity.

I usually enter contests and A&S displays for the experience and
education. I am interested in educating others about period foods and
recipes. To do this I teach classes, cook feasts made up of period
recipes and have started entering period recipes in contests and displays.

Clarissa