Brewing books/methods...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Jun 12 06:56:39 PDT 1997

> > > The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing
> > I must disagree. *grin*
> What???  Oh you grinned.

Actually, I was quite serious, otherwise I would have winked. I have
been quite disappointed by some of the material presented in this book.
(Unfortunately it's been a while since I glanced at it so I don't
remember off the top of my head what.)

It's probably a good book if you don't have a home brew store or know
brewers that can help you. Of course in the SCA you should be able to
find a goodly number of people at any event who at least know some about
brewing.

> Anyway there is one called Making Mead.  The
> authors name escapes me right now.

I don't think I've seen that book. I've seen a goodly number of books
that I was disappointed in, but it may have been because of the person
(novice brewer) they were catering to.

Although I don't consider myself an expert, I do consider myself beyond
the basics. (Then again, I still need to learn basic chemistry, but that
would ruin all my fun. *wink*)

> > I think that Homebrewing should be passed on from person to person. (Or
> > learned in my favorite method, trial and error.)
> This is the best method I've found thus far.  My recipe came from Lord
> Nooman and Lord Alexander.  I passed it on to Pug and Maite.  They are
> modifying it furthur and improving it themselves.

Yep. As well, I am trying some of the recipes from "A Sip Through Time"
to see what "period" mead was like. There is quite a variety to play with,
and lots of leaway for my trial and error method. The recipes in here
vary from very small (light honey/alcohol) to sack (heavy
honey/alcohol). As well, they have beers, ales (including cock ale),
wines (including a lemon wine that the brewers' guild did at their last
meeting), ciders, hydromels and other fun stuff.

Mistress Clare has also been nice enough to lend me a copy of Digby for
reference. *rubs his hands gleefully*

Ciao,