Reality (was: RE: Made to Swear Fealty)

barbara at mail.topher.net barbara at mail.topher.net
Fri Jun 13 16:58:44 PDT 1997

We spend a lot of time discussing those people who tend to take the
SCA too far, too seriously.

The reality is that is you take it seriously and behave well,
everyone is impressed and pleased.  But if you take it seriously and
behave badly, everyone says "come on, it is just a game".

For me the reality is that one should always strive to behave in an
exemplery maner.  No prize in the SCA, an award, title or rank, nor
any prize in the "real" world, promotion, the man/woman of your
dreams, or the last chocolate DingDong in the store at 3AM is worth
behaving poorly.  If the SCA is helping people learn that, than all
the hours we put in to it have been worth it.

Aelfric
Black Oak Keep