SCA's NEXT GENERATION

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Sun Jun 15 23:36:39 PDT 1997

Wendy Erisman 6/14/97 10:10 AM

>Again, I'm not excusing people from the responsibilities of hospitalling
>(and, like Aquilanne, I think this should be a group effort led by the
>local officer rather than a one-person job), _but_ I also think that
>newcomers need to realize that people do get busy with their personal
>concerns and so may not be especially welcoming, not because of
>cliquishness or hostility, but just because of inattention. So, newcomers,
>my suggestion is: find an interest in the SCA (or better yet, several
>interests), find out who in your new group shares those interests, talk to
>them and get involved, and your efforts will pay off very quickly.
>
>						Gwenllian

This is possible for someone that has been in the SCA for awhile and has
just moved into a new area. They already know what they are interested in
and just have to show perserverance in continually showing up until folks
finally notice them and start talking. In the real world it does piss
folks off to be continually ignored. But just hammering away and
continuing to be a part of the group does work. I know it for a fact.

However for the true newcomer this just doesn't work. First of all, they
may not know what they are interested in at all, much less what questions
to ask to get started. I don't think we have to continually hold their
hand. However, I DO think we must do some intervention, some initiation
and offer some hospitality in general to get the true newcomer started.

I liked to ask a question. How many of us had someone special who helped
us when we first joined the SCA?  Maybe they spent a couple of evenings
at a meeting or practice or just at dinner answering questions. Maybe
they spent an event showing you around. Maybe they just helped you get
your first piece of garb made so you could go to an event.  How many of
us had that experience?  With the people I have known in the 3 kingdoms I
have lived, few just joined and totally managed the sca without any help
from 'oldtimers'.

We just need to give a little of that to the next person. Yeah, we pay
back that kindness many times. So what?  Courtesy is after all a highly
held value in the SCA.  And is it not simple courtesy to welcome new
members and give them minimal information to get started?

Clarissa