Magic Moments

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Jun 23 08:26:34 PDT 1997

SirBurke asked about magic moments. Do you remember those old children's
history specials "YOU ARE THERE"??  That's the feeling I associate with the
most magical moments, the ones that let you really believe, all the way
through, that "you ARE there", even if it's only a fleeting moment.

I'll never forget the first time I felt that way.  The event was a War with
the Midrealm (aka The Chigger War or The War the Chiggers Won) during the
reign of King Sigmund I.  The site was a lake in northeast Oklaholma.  As
the battle lines were being formed in the early morning, there was a heavy
foggy mist above the lake and swirling around our knees.  The Midrealm
lines were barely visible through the fog, which erased all traces of
mundanity, revealing colorful glimses of banners and surcoats. It was my
first war, and like any medieval soldier I was scared, and excited.  Then,
just asthe tension had built to almost breaking point for me, behind the
Ansteorran lines the haunting wail of a bagpipe skirled up into the mist...
the hair stood up all over my head and I had tears in my eyes. THAT is
sti9ll the single most powerful moment I have ever experienced in the SCA.

The next best had to be during my Laureling, when, fueled well by the Mead
of Inspiration, Sir Kief af Kierstad extemporized Norse alliterative poetry
for over ten minutes extolling my virtues as testimony to the crown why I
should be made a Laurel.  It was a moving tribute, and a spine-tingling
moment as well for the feeling of "realness" that hearing those measured
lines of poetry rolling out conveyed.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)