Magic Moments

Lenny Zimmermann zarlor at acm.org
Mon Jun 23 10:55:16 PDT 1997

I must admit that I am still realtively new to the Society, but I find
some of the most magical moments to be some of the little ones that I
just enjoy the most. Often right after a feast sitting among friends
with a happy belly, pleasant conversation and exquisite candlelight I
find myself drifiting off into silence and just pondering and ejoying
the moment. It just seems like there is no place I would rather be
than among such fine friends at just such a time.

But, despite my great enjoyment of such a little moment, i is not one
of those moments when you are "there". There have certainly been times
at Lyonesse that have come close and at one of my first events at a
Yule Revel where we sat out in the dark of the woods in the middle of
the night listening to songs while the fog rolled in. Civilization was
not to be heard anywhere and Mistress Mari's voice lilting out Celtic
sounding songs just seemed right. Not quite "there", but still pretty
close.

I think the hardest part for me is that I work hard to learn a great
deal about my persona and the "character" of a Renaissance courtier
and diplomat and it is just not completely "right" to be with so many
disparate cultures. Much like a stranger in a strange land, is perhaps
the best way I see it, so it's all kind of odd to me anyways. Just as
my modern sense tells me that what we participate in is out of time
and place, the feel for my persona is the same way. Perhaps in that
sense I am often "there", as well. There are, indeed, so many things
to savor and enjoy in the SCA, I hope I can always maintain that
wide-eyed wonder at the pageantry we do. (Although it can be DARN
tough at some events! ;-))

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)