Personna views was RE: Magic Moments

njones at ix.netcom.com njones at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 28 14:41:16 PDT 1997

Lionardo Acquistapace wrote:
> I think the hardest part for me is that I work hard to learn a great
> deal about my persona and the "character" of a Renaissance courtier
> and diplomat and it is just not completely "right" to be with so many
> disparate cultures. Much like a stranger in a strange land, is perhaps
> the best way I see it, so it's all kind of odd to me anyways.

I've thought about this for a bit before replying.

On the one hand, I agree with you that sometimes it doesn't feel
"right" for folks recreating one time period to be thrown in with
so many other time periods.  But, I don't really have much of a
problem with it.  I think there are enough narrow focus events
out there, be they Norse/Celtic/Elizibethan/High Middle Ages,
to give us that sense of recreating a paticular time period.

But, one of the reasons that I have learned so much from the SCA is
because I was thown in with such a motly crowd!  *grin*

The way I see it, the time my personna comes from is around 1410 and
there were so many disparate cultures among Europe alone
that I don't really see him knowing about the customs of all of them.

Or, as Mistress Mari put it once, decribing her personna's view of
`outsiders' ..."not my tribe!"

Giovanni interprets that as "Florence is the height of civilization!
Of course, everyone else is backward!"  [insert huge grin]

****

Anybody else wish to contribute?  I think this would make nifty
thing to discuss and share notes about.

Gio,
who tries his best at personna play, but wisely takes counsel
from his betters.