Personna views was RE: Magic Moments

Damaris of Greenhill damaris at geocities.com
Sun Jun 29 07:39:59 PDT 1997

njones at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> > and it is just not completely "right" to be with so many
> > disparate cultures. Much like a stranger in a strange land, is perhaps
> > the best way I see it, so it's all kind of odd to me anyways.
>
> I've thought about this for a bit before replying.
>
> On the one hand, I agree with you that sometimes it doesn't feel
> "right" for folks recreating one time period to be thrown in with
> so many other time periods.  But, I don't really have much of a
> problem with it.  I think there are enough narrow focus events
> out there, be they Norse/Celtic/Elizibethan/High Middle Ages,
> to give us that sense of recreating a paticular time period.
>
> But, one of the reasons that I have learned so much from the SCA is
> because I was thown in with such a motly crowd!  *grin*
>
> The way I see it, the time my personna comes from is around 1410 and
> there were so many disparate cultures among Europe alone
> that I don't really see him knowing about the customs of all of them.
>
> Or, as Mistress Mari put it once, decribing her personna's view of
> `outsiders' ..."not my tribe!"

I don't have a lot of information about my culture being Sarmatian and
from the fifth century.  I've found some but not a lot.  I got kinda an
inkling as to how I should play it when the Yuks rode to Micheal and
Mikeala's last coronation.  But I don't really think that "Damaris" is
Dam-yuk.  I can see her being a more enlightened individual who knows
how to speak Yuk-speak.  But she also speaks Ansteorran and has learned
that there are people who are "not Yuk" and not "Persian" either.

I'd like to know more about Sarmatians.  If any of you have any info you
can share with me I'd like to know.

> who tries his best at personna play, but wisely takes counsel
> from his betters.

You and me both brother.
--
                    Damaris of Greenhill