award stuff

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jun 25 11:30:14 PDT 1997

Kat wrote:
> Please, don't think this means I'm expecting Knightings based on
> archery, or missile weapons,

I think Corpora is specific in limiting it to rattan tourney combat.
Corpora specifies a lot of things that get ignored or weaseled
around (e.g., no baronial armigerous awards), so perhaps more to the
point is that I'd expect the Chivalry to disapprove in general.

> Before I get jumped on, remember I said Knight, not Master.

If you mean "Master of Arms": the Corpora qualifications for
Knighthood and Mastery of Arms are identical.  The candidate
is (supposed to be) offered membership in the Order of Chivalry,
and the candidate chooses which of the two orders that belong
to the Order that he will join.

"Master" in general: that's one of the counter-arguments that the
"chivalry for heavies only" proponents put forth: "you can always give
them a Laurel for excellence in an art, or a Pelican for service".
(Their opponents point out that many people consider it less
satisfying -- it's that "knight in shining armor" Arthurian image all
over again.  I hope this doesn't provoke a discussion on that
subject.)

Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com
tmcd at austin.tx.us is not a valid address.