new awards...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Jun 26 05:19:25 PDT 1997

> Forgive my ignorance, but could someone explain "Lion" as well as our
> kingdom's awards/grants ...mayhaps a list saying...

The Lion of Ansteorra is the honor of honors. This person is the
embodiment of what all of us hold as the ideals of the SCA. These are
the people who make the magic moments happen for all of us.

My understanding is there is a long list of people handed from Crown to
Crown to be decided from. Since it can be given at most once a reign, the
list probably grows longer, not shorter. (Which is a good thing, since
it means more of us are playing the game to our fullest.)

> I am aware there is a similar list online somewhere...but it contains
> EVERYONES/interkingdom awards and grants and orders...I just want to know
> ours. I thought I'd at least heard of all the major ones, but I would have
> remembered Lion.

The list for Ansteorra can be found at:

http://www.flash.net/~delamare/guidhan4.htm

Where it states:

   Order of the Lions of Ansteorra (LION) may be given a maximum of once
   per reign, to that person who best embodies the granting Crown's ideals
   of the Society. Companions of the order are entitled to wear the badge:
   "Or, a mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable, overall
   a lion rampant argent."

This award is honorous and does not entitle the person to bear arms or
anything. Although usually by the time someone gets this award they
have already achieved some level of recognition/precedence.

Ciao,