new awards...

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 27 13:06:36 PDT 1997

>     Pardon the intrusion from a northern spectator, but I have a  question
>     concerning occasions of not awarding the Lion.  Graf Galen writes (as
>     others have noted) that at least once the award was not given since
>     the selected individual was not present at Coronation.  If the gentle
>     in question was as excellent as should be expected, was he/she not
>     deserving of the award even it it needed to be given in absentia?  It
>     doesn't seem to me that recognition in the Society should be on a
>     "must be present to win" basis.
>
>                                        Bjarni

        As well as the other comments, I think that most people would
rather be in attendance when they get an award rather than hear how they
had gotten an award especially something as unique as a Lion.  I have never
taken it wrong when the Crown chose not to give one, just like I wouldn't
take it wrong if the Crown didn't see fit to award a Glove or a Gauntlet
for their Reign or choose not to give out a peerage(Unless previously
announced).
        I do think that the Lion does not need to be given out just at
Coronation and this reign it was given out at Steppes Warlord.  Sometimes
one particular event is more appropriate than another.  Since the Lion is
given out in part for persona work then giving it at a persona event would
make sense also.

Clare St. John