new awards...

galenbv at ix.netcom.com galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 30 16:48:44 PDT 1997

>     Pardon the intrusion from a northern spectator, but I have a  question
>     concerning occasions of not awarding the Lion.  Graf Galen writes (as
>     others have noted) that at least once the award was not given since
>     the selected individual was not present at Coronation.  If the gentle
>     in question was as excellent as should be expected, was he/she not
>     deserving of the award even it it needed to be given in absentia?  It
>     doesn't seem to me that recognition in the Society should be on a
>     "must be present to win" basis.
>
>                                        Bjarni

For most awards, I quite agree.  And many times during our reign we did just
that, gave awards in absentia.  But the Lion is such a special award that it
has become custom not to do so.  We wish to hold up the recipient of the
award as an exemplar of his/her personna and works.  It has such a special
meaning in this Kingdom that I don't think could be conveyed in absentia.
The point is that the recipients should represent themselves and their
personna in such a fashion that one could turn to a newcomer, etc. and say,
"you want to learn about 13th century flemish basketweaving?, go talk to
Lord/Lady Reedfinger...he/she _is_ a flemish landholder."  The point being
not Art&Sci knowledge but the fact that you find it difficult to think of
the person in any other way....

Because these people so strongly represent all we hold dear, we go out of
our way to make the giving of the award special.  Not by any special
ceremony, but by looking them in the eye, and holding them up before the
assembled populous and saying, "Strive to follow this example."

Graf Galen