Magic Moments

Tyrca at aol.com Tyrca at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 09:43:59 PDT 1997

     I have a couple of things to share.  I started playing in the SCA in a
very small place that still isn't even a shire, just a couple of contact
people.  As almost all of us were newcomers, we had get-togethers that taught
us courtly graces and basic costuming.  But the time came for my first "real"
event.
     We drove 4 hours to Salt Lake City (Barony of Loch Salann) to attend the
Outlands Investure (yes, that long ago, when Outlands was still a
principality, and Artemisia was a twinkle in Atenveldt's eye).  It was the
investure of Robert and Leah as Prince and Princess, and they held it in an
historic church next to the State Capitol.  It was wonderful.  We sat on pews
with a large center aisle, and up front, the altar had been moved aside for
the thrones of the prince and princess.
     It was all so amazing to me, in my first attempt at a T-tunic.  The
herald calling individuals, the processions up to aisle to the throne, the
shouts of acclaim.  And then the newly-invested Prince Robert called Master
Gunvaldt into court.  In he came like a great golden bear, with his hair
french-braided to the middle of his back, his long golden beard forked in the
front, the representation of any Dwarf.  As he came forward, the herald
regaled the populace with Gunvaldt's accomplishments, and then read the
glorious words of the scroll of a Lion of Atenveldt.  And then my friend who
brought me to this wonderous event wiped tears from her eyes and explained
the significance of a Lion.  I found that I was crying too, without knowing
why.
     After an introduction like that, what could I do, but continue in our
game?

     And from another side, I have another memory.  We were in Drachenwald,
and it was the first event that Thorgierr and I attended as Tanist and
Tanista.  We were in the Caer Philly castle in Wales, and I was at head
table.  We had no court planned, but wanted to give some largess and
recognition, so we asked the local seneschal to identify for us their newest
individuals that were showing excellent efforts in both arts and deportment.
 With this information, we had the herald call forth a man and wife that had
only been in the Society for 3 months, and were as well acoutered as any in
the hall.  We presented them with a plate that we made ourselves with the
Dragon of Drachenwald on it.
     And I began to understand the joy of surprise recognition from the other
side of the court.  The looks on their faces made all the effort and bad
politics worthwhile.

Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
Barony of Namron