Playing This Game Another Way

KiheBard at aol.com KiheBard at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 06:33:54 PST 1997

> > > Her we must part company for a bit. Where is there any requirement
>  > > that a given gentle must squire (or apprentice or whatever) before
>  > > they are considered for a granted peerage?
>  >
>  > No.
>  >
>  > Galen Edwin Kirchenbauer
>  > Galen Niccoli
>  > Inman McMoore
>  > Seamus of the Cats
>  > Rowan Beatrice von Kaempfer
>  > These all spring to mind as members of the Chivalry who
>  > were never squires.
>  Add Richard ap Morgan, Jan w Orzeldom and Randall von Nordlichwald to
>  that list.  (This is just who I can think of from my group....)

Actually, I think I can extend the list myself: Mistress Sabia (harpist
Therese Honey) I understand to not have apprenticed formally [correction
invited!], and to the best of my personal knowledge Jonathan Delaufysson was
made a knight without having been previously a squire. I'm not so certain
about Lloyd von Eaker...

At least a portion of the point made / to be made, however, is how long it
has been since a non-squire /  non-apprentice has been advanced.  Five years?
More?

Granted, "we've grown up" and the support systems for formal squires,
apprentices, and proteges are there now. But there is the reality of the
appearance that "the bar has been raised" as well: I see artisans now with 5
to 7 years SCA participation who probably would have held a Laurel ten years
or more had they started in the SCA at the same time that I did and remained
active, and these paragons are deemed fortunate if they hold even so much as
an Iris. (Not to pick on the Laurel Circle particulalrly, their circumstance
is merely the one for which I believe I possess the "best" comparative data
at this time.)

This says much for our growth as an organization, and yet calls some small
question upon the process. Nothing that will be resolved in this forum,
either. The Circles answer only to themselves and the Crown, as is the right
given of old. (Well, they must also bow before the will of the BoD, but that
is another matter entire!)

Nothing may be resolved here. Observations can still be made.

al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
	currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker					KiheBard at aol.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!