Peer elevation...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Mar 3 10:37:18 PST 1997

> Granted, "we've grown up" and the support systems for formal squires,
> apprentices, and proteges are there now. But there is the reality of the
> appearance that "the bar has been raised" as well:

I was waiting for this!

> I see artisans now with 5
> to 7 years SCA participation who probably would have held a Laurel ten years
> or more had they started in the SCA at the same time that I did and remained
> active, and these paragons are deemed fortunate if they hold even so much as
> an Iris. (Not to pick on the Laurel Circle particulalrly, their circumstance
> is merely the one for which I believe I possess the "best" comparative data
> at this time.)

Well part of this is due to the standards laid out. I've heard complaints
that people got Laurels/Knights/Pelicans and not expect more out of the
people currently being considered. This is because, in part to swollen
heads *wink* but mostly from, the fact that in corpora it clearly states
that for Knights:

  (a) The candidate must be considered the equal of his or her
  prospective peers with the basic weapons of tournament combat.

For Laurels:

  (a) The candidate must have attained the standard of excellence in
  skill and/or knowledge equal to that of his or her prospective peers
  in some area of the Arts or Sciences.

and for Pelicans:

  (1) The candidate must have attained the standard of service to the
  Society or any of its branches equal to that of his or her prospective
  peers, which is above and beyond that normally expected of members of
  the Society.

Everyone complains that So-and-So didn't have to work this hard to get
it 10 years ago. Well the standards are *supposed* to change over time.
We expect more out of people as our group grows and matures.

Sorry for my brief excursion outside of the actaul discussion, but I
thought I'd throw this in.

Btw, do we still actually enforce:

  g. They shall have made every effort to learn and practice those
  skills desirable at and worthy of a civilized court. To this end they
  should have some knowledge of a wide range of period forms, including
  but not limited to literature, dancing, music, heraldry, and chess,
  and they should have some familiarity with combat as practiced in
  the Society. They should also participate in Society recreations of
  several aspects of the culture of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

to become a peer in this Kingdom?

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something