Apprentice/protege

njones at ix.netcom.com njones at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 3 21:18:15 PST 1997

Master William Blackfox wrote:
>         I know that there are members of each order who did not attach themselves
> to a peer before receiving the accolade.  I would simply council that there
> are certain legitimate advantages to becoming an apprentice or a protege in
> the same way that being a squire has its advantages.

Hmm...Having just recently become apprenticed to Mistress Meadhbh, the
subject of benefits to apprentiship have been much on my mind.

When I do A$S, I do it because I enjoy the research and the construction
of the project.  And, because most often I do food items, I do projects
because I think they will taste good and want to share them with my
friends.

I entered in to a formal apprentiship with Meadhbh, not to advance my
"career" in the SCA, but because I am at heart a lazy person.  *grin*
Left to my own devices, I come up with nifty, creative project ideas...
and then let them drift in to the pile of future projects that I
never get around to.  I love and respect her, we work well together,
and she encourages me to follow through on my ideas.

But most especially, I entered into an apprentiship because I have
learned over the course of my life, that I do well with a mentor.
I have a mentor to advise me in academics, one to advise me in my
life path, and Meadhbh to kick me in the butt if I don't get around
to doing the neat projects that I keep coming up with!

*grins*
Gio