Who should fight (was)R

Lori Jones LJONES at ossm.edu
Wed Mar 5 14:35:03 PST 1997

> > Kat said:
> > The issue of fairness is really moot, anyway.  Fair or not, Crown
> > is the King's Tournament and can be run any way the king deems
> > appropriate (i.e. a certain weapon style, a shield size limit, set
> > pairings, etc.).

> Daniel de Lincoln replied:
> I would not say that "fairness is moot", except in the most limited
> sense to describe current practice.

That's kind-of what I meant.  In other words, the King can pretty
much do as he wants, fair or not - or so it has been in our Kingdom
for many years.  If there exists some kind of rule requiring pairings
in SCA Crown Tournies to be random, I haven't run across it yet.
What I meant about fairness was that, regardless of people's
perceptions - right, wrong or indifferent - I don't see the practice
changing any time soon.  I did *not* mean to say that the practice
was fair or unfair (though it's pretty obvious to me and probably
to anyone else out there).

> I would very much like pairings not under control of the Crown.

If you mean you would like the pairings to *always* be randomly
drawn, I think that's a pretty common sentiment.

> Then again, I've heard rumors from Them (third person paranoid)
> that the King stacking the pairings is not uncommon, at least in
> Ansteorra.  ("They" were fairly well-connected in the marshallate
> and with the list mistresses, so I think there may be validity.)

I can't in all honesty say whether or not the practice is common.  I
only know I'm not going to question what I was told by the ladies
I spoke with, or my lord (who was the Earl Marshal prior to Sir
Karl).  Such things could get me killed (just kidding!) or at the
very least could make it very cold around my castle this winter. :-)
Chalk it up to my less-than-inquiring mind....

I guess the issue of which kings do or don't depends largely on
the King and how they view their role.  Some would feel they have
the right and duty to influence that list.  Others want absolutely no
question of influence - I remember one Crown where cards were drawn
and read off in full view of the populace (Inman V, I think).  You
don't get much more random than that.

Kat    >"<

Katrionna MacLochlainn,  Barony of Wiesenfeuer

"The pupil who is never required to do what he cannot do,
  never does what he can do."
  -   John Stuart Mill