Chronique #16 Questions

brian at chronique.com brian at chronique.com
Thu Mar 27 14:01:57 PST 1997

Folks,

There are new questions (well, new as of January, but no email was sent
out) on the Chronique website (http://www.chronique.com) relating to the
pas d'armes. We'd be very interested in your replies--answer either from
the website directly (its easier for us to parse that way) or via email.

If you choose to reply, please include both your mundane and SCA names
and your mailing address, since we need to send you a copy of the
journal when #16 is released in June. Many thanks in advance for your
assistance--we hope you enjoy the journal!

Brian R. Price
aka sca Brion Thornbird ap Rhys
http://www.chronique.com

Question #1: If you have fought in or seen a pas d'armes, did it impress
or annoy you--and why?

Reply1 at chronique.com

Question #2: Courtesy, sincerity, and pageantry are all showcased in a
pas d'armes. Are these virtues secondary to
prowess in a medieval knight? How about in our own knights?

Reply2 at chronique.com

Question #3: Some have complained that the fighting in a pas d'armes is
often "scaled back," and as such, is not
reflective of medieval tournaments. Which parts of this statement do you
agree with?

Reply3 at chronique.com

Question #4: When fighting a pas fight of counted blows, which form do
you prefer--number of blows thrown or
taken?

Reply4 at chronique.com

Question #5: Do you think the concept of the pas d'armes has any effect
on the attitudes of combatants in prize lists?

Reply5 at chronique.com

Question #6: Should a 'winner' be chosen in a pas d'armes? If so, how
should this be done?

Reply6 at chronique.com

Question #7: The concept of largesse is sometimes linked to fighting.
How could a combatant demonstrate generostiy
in a list field and should this be done?

Reply7 at chronique.com

Question #8: Do you think that victory is different in a pas and a prize
tournament?

Reply8 at chronique.com

Question #9: If a combatant is struck repeatedly with blows that are
individually too light, should they accept defeat
or not?

Reply9 at chronique.com

Question #10: Fighting in a tournament, you are struck by a very small
opponent who cannot strike you any harder,
yet you think the blow was still too light. What would you do?

Reply10 at chronique.com