SCA vs. Mundane

Joel Schumacher jschumac at uns-dv1.jcpenney.com
Tue May 6 09:52:33 PDT 1997

> ansteorra                   Tuesday, 6 May 1997        Volume 01 : Number 808
> I have recently been innundated with rude comments from mundanes about
> how "very unrealistic and silly I am being for getting into such a
> fantasy world."

Before I defend you, the "mundane" term offends me.  Mundane refers to
commonplace, ordinary and often seems to take a negative connotation.
ie. boring.  I don't like to think of my non-SCA life in those terms.

If you think of non-SCA'ers as ordinary or boring, how can you expect
them to respect you?

> I recently made a necklace with a beautifle letter A on it (persona
> name) and I display it proudly around my  neck.  A 'friend' says, "why
> don't you use your REAL name, and be more realistic?"

In every day life, many people have and use nicknames.  An SCA name
is just another alias for you.  No different from a nickname, except
that you chose it.

> "That group has nothing to do with reality."
> "Why don't you sew REAL stuff?"
> "If you spent as much time working on normal things..."

Actually, I consider the arts & crafts of the SCA very practical.

People today are so lost when it comes to simple trades.  If you can't
buy it, it can't be had.  This takes away from imagination and
creativity.  We allow others to decide what's beautiful and trendy.

This may be a strech, but let's say you were marooned on a desert isle.
A typical person would probably be lost.  No micro-wave oven, no power
tools, no fabric from the cloth store.

The SCA crafts come from a simpler time.  Basically, you build from
scratch, from the elements around you.  In this situation, I'm sure
a seasoned SCA'er could build shelter, make their own fabrics, even
fashion furniture, make leather products, etc.  You'd probably end up
with a comfortable life.

> "The only people who participate in organizations like the SCA are
> crazy fanatics." (yes, this one was told to me in church!)

That's the pot calling the kettle black...