SCA vs Mundane

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue May 6 11:12:53 PDT 1997

Dieterich wrote:
> Mildred, can you _believe_ he thought St. James was boiled alive???
> I mean *everyone* knows he was shot to death with arrows!!

It was actually S. Sebastian who was notable for being shot full of
arrows.  (He didn't actually die from that, though; he was nursed back
to health by Irene, and when he went to rebuke Diocletian was beaten
to death.)  So S. Sebastian's symbol is the arrow, or depicting him
shot full of arrows.  One guess as to who he's the patron saint of
(besides soldiers, but I think he shares that with S. Martin.)

James the apostle (James the Greater) was killed by Herod Agrippa I;
Acts 12:1.  The web page I read said

"James is called James the Greater because another younger apostle was
named James.  He should not be confused with this James, or the James
who is a relative of Jesus, or the James who was an elder of the
Church in Jerusalem and heard Peter's defense of baptizing Gentiles,
James, son of Thunder [epithet bestowed by Jesus], was dead by then."

James the Less was a brother of S. Jude and a cousin of Jesus.  "While
searving as Jerusalem's first bishop, he was arrested by the Jews
[hrmph.  All of them?  I think *not*] and killed by being hurled down
from the Temple roof.  Symbol: fuller's club, after being cast from
the Temple roof S. James was beaten to death with such a club."  (Make
up your mind: was it the fall from the roof or the club?)

Found via http://www.catholic.org/saints/stssearch.html.  Sebbie's
page was .../sebastn.html.  James the Greater was .../james.html.

--
Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com