Saints (was)Re: SCA vs Mundane

Heidi J Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Thu May 8 16:08:30 PDT 1997

Gio, Gio, Gio.....

You're getting your Scholarly Babes of Antiquity criss-crossed.

I think you've got S. Catherine mixed up with Hypatia of Alexandria, a
mathematician.  (I know she was somehow connected to the Library of
Alexandria, but not if she was the librarian....)

Hypatia, an unrepentant pagan, was pulled from her chariot by a mob of
early Christians (or so history says) led by some religious leader
(Cyrus?  I can't remember but I think it began with a "C").  They pulled
her to pieces.  Some sources say they knocked out all her teeth first.
At the time, she was a venerable lady of 60 or so.

S. Catherine, in the typical pattern of early martyrs, refused to marry
nêóthe pagan emperor Maxentius(?).  He called upon 50 of his wisestSô/_v

On Thu, 8 May 1997 njones at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Daniel mentioned:
> > S. Thomas Aquinas is well-known.úzN½
¨¿æ÷CPL(à%ËÝm¤[a×Òm^ReAìÛÛËZÓ×ÃRX£ß»]ÃÞû[XËÜ\ÝË^Ã^ÙÃÜØÛ[û > I found nothing
there for C. of A.