Saints (was)Re: SCA vs Mundane

Heidi J Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Thu May 8 16:17:46 PDT 1997

\Û
Gio, Gio, Gio....

You're getting your Scholarly Babes of Antiquity mixed up.

On Thu, 8 May 1997 njones at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I want to say that Catherine of Alexandria was the Libriarian
> of Alexandria and was devoutly pagan until converted by
> some Bishop.  And she was martyred by being tied to chariots
> and pulled to itty bitty pieces.  Thus we get her symbol of
> the Catherine Wheel.

S. Catherine was to be married to the emperor Maxentius but refused.  He
called forth 50 of his magi to debate
with her on religion.  She converted them all.
Maxentius had them all slaughtered and ordered Catherine to be tortured
on the wheel.  (How htis was supposed to be accomplished, I don't know.)
When she was about to be tied to the wheel, it broke.  So they cut off
her head with a sword.

I think you're probably thinking of Hypatia of Alexandria from your post
above.  She was a scholar and instructor on mathematics and astronomy.
She is said &ß

Ù|_ÛßãXÃØZÃËÞãÓËZÜëØ]]Û[PZ|§ø0\²