Peers and students...

Chuck Graves Chuck_Graves at mmacmail.jccbi.gov
Wed May 28 10:55:37 PDT 1997

  Greetings,

  >I've noticed as of late that in several cases people have made
  >"announcements" of squires and apprentices.

  I am curious whether you mean individuals introducing themselves as
  Sir X's squire or when a Peer publicly takes a new student, e.g.,
  Sir Finn Kelly taking Ld. Alexander Ravenshaw as apprentice.

  >I assume it happens with prot‚g‚s as well. (Heck, I didn't realize
  >yellow and green belts were "reserved"

  It also works with prot‚g‚s but my experience is based on Atlantian
  custom.  By the way, in Atlantia, prot‚g‚s also wear a green belt.
  The colors are not reserved except by custom or by kingdom law,
  sometimes.  For my own part, my belt is blue--Clan Oldcastle.  My
  knight's tradition slightly predates the general acceptance of red
  for a squire's belt (at least, that's his story--and he's sticking
  by it.)

  >Since I've not really paid attention to this process, why are they
  >actually announcing this?

  Usually to make public a very special affiliation.

  >Is there a benefit of doing this? Is there a benefit to either person
  >when making if official that they are teacher and student instead of
  >leaving it an informal process?

  The Peers often do it so people will help teach their students (and
  report back when we're messing up), and the Students usually to show
  our pride (or good luck).  Remember, in most cases, by accepting the
  belt, an individual is joining a household--becoming part of the
  family.  I don't believe there is an added advantage to making the
  process formal.  It is more a matter of personal preference.  Some
  Peers like it very public; some are very informal.

  >Are peers made that are not students to someone else? I know it's had
  >to of happened, but how often does it happen now. (i.e. When were the
  >last of each peerage who wasn't a student?)

  Certainly but it's not all that common.  I've seen some within the
  last year but again that was a different kingdom.  In some cases, it
  is a peerage other than the one you were affiliated for.  For example,
  a squire is recognized as a Laurel though the only affiliation was to
  their Knight.  I'm sure there many Pelicans made without ever being a
  prot‚g‚...though that is more the nature of the Order.  I know several
  Pelicans who have not and will not take a prot‚g‚..."How do I teach
  someone service?"

  As for myself, I tell most anyone my household affiliation.  I'm
  rather proud of it.  I have been blessed with the opportunity to
  associate with some truly outstanding individuals that I would not
  have done otherwise.  That is not because they would not have been
  willing to teach me.  Rather, it is because I may never have gotten
  the nerve to ask.

  Probably one of the most important things I have learned by squiring
  to Duke Gyrth is how approachable all those tin hats really are.
  Sometimes we let the Dream get between us and what we can become.
  Remember, belts, chains, leaves, and medallions are merely symbols to
  remind us of a person's actions.  The important part was the person...
  the simple human who made those things happen.  And they have so much
  to teach if we will but take the time to learn.

  Regards,
  Tadhg