Peers and students...

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed May 28 09:58:16 PDT 1997

Greetings,

Pug commented:

>  I've noticed as of late that in several cases people have made
>  "announcements" of squires and apprentices. I assume it happens with
>  proteges as well. (Heck, I didn't realize yellow and green belts
>  were "reserved" until I noticed someone who lost theirs this past
>  weekend and was looking for it. I leave the person anonymous. *grin*)

Pug, you just pushed a button of mine :-(. Green and yellow belts are
NOT reserved. Niether is the red one. Such affiliations are personal
and not official. "Squire" is a relationship, not a rank.

As to making an announcement in court, I think it is a waste of most
people's time especially when it is a big, long court like the one at
Steppes Warlord. This is the kind of thing that should be held for a
smaller more intimate baronial or household court.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com

PS: When I first joined the SCA I bought a brown belt with a slight
tinge of red in it. I still wear that belt but I dyed it a darker
brown after the comments I got. That was then. I guess I'm more of
an obstinate old fart now because now I wouldn't.