ANST - ice collars

Darlene Vandever blaan at flash.net
Mon May 5 22:44:31 PDT 1997

Greetings,

j'lynn yeates wrote:

> anyone out there played with those "cooling collars" that show up in the gizmo
> catalogs ????  wondering if they actually work ... and if they do, if they
> could be incorporated into armour ...

I've been a tournament side chivalric groupie for nearly 11 1/2 years now.  I've
put many a collar on my former lord, my dear friends and others.  Both the
homemade kind and the gooey slimy kind from the store.  Most seem to prefer the
homemade kind.  Several fighters of my aquaintence from my past have used the
collars under their gorgets but then stopped for various reasons.  True ice
collars actually get too cold and as the ice melts their gorgets would be getting
looser and looser.  This of course, posed a safety issue.  Also,  It actually kept
them from sweating when they needed to do so.  The store kind of collar didn't
shrink but then it didn't stay cold either.  IMHO it is better to get off the
field and let your lovely lady or some lovely lady (and we are ALL lovely when we
hold that cool towel or drink bottle) help you off with your gorget at least and
apply these cooling measures off the field.  Those fighters who have ever sat
under my pavillion at list side can attest that these measures are quite
effective.Besides, fussing over you sweaty fighter types is half the fun for us
list-side tournament groupies!

Annes
Ps.  Before someone jumps to the correction....yes, you should not apply actual
ice collars directly to someone due to throwing them into shock.  Cool down is
just that....something slow and steady...not an ice cold towel on the back of the
neck..