SCA vs Mundane

Scott White swhite at cimedia.com
Tue May 6 09:12:54 PDT 1997

>I figure It's Just a G** D***** Hobby.  Some people do bridge, some
>do stamps, some do chess, some do gardening, I do the Middle Ages.

Thank you.

It's kinda embarassing how quickly this thread has degenerated into
"conservative, ignorant, clean-cut Christian non-SCA bubbas out to get us
pagan, long-haired SCAers."

Is there possibly a touch of pent-up hostility here?

I HATE the term 'mundane.' I think it's uppity and condescending as hell.
Why do we feel the need to swipe at people who haven't discovered our club,
or whose interests lie elsewhere?

I also won't use the term 'newbie.' I use 'new people' because it
underscores the PEOPLE part.

I've said this before -- my life outside the SCA isn't mundane in the
least. The society is one of several hobbies I pursue with passion, but I
don't base my personality identification/sense of honor/sense of purpose in
life on ANY of them.

Gnith
<swhite at cimedia.com>