Peers and students, my opinions..

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu May 29 09:13:56 PDT 1997

Good Morning,

  I'm glad to see this actually got a new topic started (which is why I
  brought it up *now*), and would like to put a little bit more onto why
  I asked it again and why it keeps coming up in my mind. (I asked it a
  couple years ago when there were a lot less folks here and I was a lot
  less mature all the way around.)

  I have often wondered if having a formal teacher-student relationship
  would actually benefit me or if I could continue on my own with the
  progress I want. Because of my nature and what I like to do, I see
  myself eventually becoming a Laurel and/or Pelican in the *very* distant
  future. (I have no where near the abilities nor service experience for
  either and can't see these happening for quite some time. Then again,
  I don't think I deserve any of the awards I've gotten so far.)

  In the area of the Arts and Sciences, although I am interested in
  caligraphy, illumination, cooking and dance, my primary drive is in
  brewing and vinting.

  Although part of brewing is a science (after all it is just simple
  chemistry) most of it in my opinion is an art. (I have to admit that I
  have been lacking in that area as of late. I have tried to accomodiate
  the local area for events instead of focusing on the art aspects. That
  is changing.) Anyone can put a batch of cider, mead or beer together
  given a recipe and the equipment. On the other hand, it takes
  patience and skill to produce something that is truly enjoyable and
  desirable. (There are those that will drink anything. I don't want to
  brew for them since they will be just as happy with Bud as a good mead.)

  As well, one should do research to develop as period of techniques as
  possible and what not. I have been lax in this since my brewing has
  been done by picking stuff up and throwing it together, and not
  because I don't know how to do it and document it. I have used the
  Greenhill mead recipe (which is changing in the brewers' guilds'
  hands) as a basis for a good number of mead based items, and kits for
  some of the beers (since I hadn't tried beers and still fill
  uncomfortable with them), but other than that it's all made up after
  some reading and discussions with others. (These are usually two way
  with both members giving information from experience.) I don't take
  measurements besides Specific Gravity to tell alcohol content (which
  is good to know in order to warn people) and don't use chemicals (ie.
  use fruits for acid, etc) or take measurements on these items in
  question. (It helps that I don't even understand them so don't know
  to mess with any of them.)

  In the area of competitions, I plan on never entering one. On the
  other hand, I will, when I feel my skills are high enough, do displays,
  but I don't feel comfortable with the idea of saying this thing is
  better than that thing. Even at Steppes, mead was judged against
  calligrahy and sewing. These are not the same types of things to be
  able to judge against. They are things you can put together for people
  to look at and admire though.

  Not to mention, I will gladly hand it out from my (or lately, TRH) camp,
  and at Candlemas from a "tavern". I will continue doing this from my
  camp and may go back to doing Candlemas since it is only once a year.
  I will not being doing a "tavern" setup at other events until I am
  able to do it 100% instead of piecemeal.

  In the area of service, I don't quite understand what the criteria are
  for different things. I know that I do whatever I can to help out for
  meetings, events, and on the net. This is just what I do cause I like
  it. (It's part of what makes me good at my mundane job of System and
  Network Admin too.)

  Do I think any of this is worthy of recognition? Hell no. I'd still be
  doing the same things without an award system.

  Do I think I need a formal teacher to teach me how to do this? Not in
  any formal arrangement. I can talk to everyone and figure out how to
  improve different things. (Although I am looking for more people to
  get brewing expertise out of.) This is the way I work best.

  Do I need a formal teacher for standards, goals, etc? I don't think so.
  I'm probably my own worst critique.

  Do I need a formal teacher to become a Laurel or Pelican? If I did, I
  certainly wouldn't take one. That would be wrong in my eyes.

  The reason I asked was to see what others saw as the relationship
  between teacher and student to see if there was something I was
  missing. I don't think there is, but it's certainly been a great
  stepping stone for a conversation and some self reflection. (Which
  I've been doing a lot of lately.)

  Btw, the colors of the belts were taken from the Guiding Hand part 4
  regarding what to wear. The paragraph in question is:

    There are a few clothing restrictions which you must keep in mind.
    Do not wear a PLAIN white, red, yellow, or green belt. These have
    special meaning in the Society. White belts are reserved for Knights,
    red belts for Squires, yellow belts for Protégés, and green ones for
    Apprentices.  In addition, a plain white scarf worn over the shoulder
    is reserved for Dons, while red ones are reserved fro Cadets. Crowns,
    tiaras, and metallic headbands are reserved for nobility and should
    not be worn. With regards to jewelry, PLAIN gold chains are reserved
    for Knights.

  HL Michael de la Mare doesn't state if this is tradition (or from
  where), guidelines or law.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase  |  "If you want my views of history,
Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |   there is something you should know.