Peers and students, my opinions..

Dieterich cjw at vvm.com
Thu May 29 09:46:11 PDT 1997

Pug,

I agree with the majority of what you have to say on this subject but I
think you might be overlooking a few aspects of what a Peer can do for you
in these types of relationships.

When the Laurels discuss your work in their circle (as I'm sure they will),
whose resposibility will it be to bring back their helpful criticism?  Whose
resposibility is it to tell you when you're doing well?  Although you may
already be getting feedback, I find that it's exponentially more productive
if someone is specifically designated for this job.

Also, you can use your teacher as a springboard into the other arts.  You
pointed out that although Laurels may be expert in their chosen field, they
may have limited or no knowledge in another but I can assure you that they
*know* someone who is.  For instance, Squire Xs knight, Sir Q, is the
polearm guru on high... but his sword and shield style may not be as good as
it could be.  Sir Q goes into the belted circle and says: "OK, which of you
guys wants to help me out... my squire wants to learn how to use sword and
shield."  I've seen your postings here and I am certain that you will want
to do something else someday on top of your brewing and vinting... perhaps
cooping, vinegar distillation, cullinary arts... who knows.  And when you
do, a peer- *your* peer- is a great place to start.

Just a few thoughts,

Dieterich